Tuesday, 20 September 2016

Filmmaking-A Start of A Genre

In today's media lesson we looked into the Found Footage genre, and I have decided to do some more research into it.

Now first of all many people believe that The Blair Witch Project was the first found footage film, but in fact it was Cannibal Holocaust  released January 1979 (USA) that is considered the first genuine food footage film.

However, in 1999 the film that is considered the undisputed king of found footage films was release. THE BLAIR WITCH PROJECT. It was shot for an estimated $60k and then it went on to produce $140,539,099 in the US and an additional $248,639,099 worldwide. It shocked audiences hauntingly realistic representation of footage expressed by student filmmakers that allegedly went missing in 1994. The marketing department went to extreme lengths to convince viewers that the procect was an authentic documentary. It successfully rebounded off of the Cannibal Holocaust but to an exponentially greater box office success. I want to look at the Blair Witch Project in more detail because I believe found footage would be a good genre to look into for my 2 minute film opening. During my research into the Blair Witch Project I came across an article on the Guardian's website by Heather Donahue who played herself in the 1999 film. What I found most intriguing about the article is where she explains the extent the marketing team went to in trying to make the film as convincing as possible, the poor girl had her obituary published when she was 24 and still very much alive.  I have provided the link to her article below.

In taking such an interest into found footage films I decided to look at a few more, I have provided trailers to these other films.

Paranormal Activity-2007



Paranormal Activity Two-2010



Paranormal Activity Three-2011



Paranormal Activity Four-2012



Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones-2014



Paranormal Activity: The Ghost Dimension-2015



Cloverfield-2008






No comments:

Post a Comment